Physiotherapy at Lakeshore Medical Centre
Mary Coen – MSc (SEP)BSc Physio
Chartered Physiotherapist – CORU Registered PT030086
I qualified from Kings College London in 1994 and worked in both the public (NHS) and private systems in London until 2001 when I returned to Ireland to work in Cork University Hospital. I set up the Extended Scope Physiotherapist role in Accident & Emergency managing minor injuries. I was also the liaison physiotherapist for the Headache Clinic treating tension and cervicogenic headaches until 2005.
I gained an MSc in Sports and Exercise Physiotherapy from NUIG in 2007.
Loughrea Physiotherapy & Sports Injury Clinic was established in 2005 and moved to Lakeshore Medical Centre in June 2020.
My area of special interest is Pelvic Health and Continence. I have done advanced training in the area, particularly in the management of pelvic organ prolapse and incorporate pessary fitting in treatment where appropriate. I treat Urinary and Faecal Incontinence, Overactive Bladder, Urgency, Dyspareunia/Vaginismus and Chronic Pelvic Pain. I also treat post prostatectomy patients.
Additionally, I have done training in the management of Bowel Dysfunction in adults and children, especially Constipation and Dysfunctional Defecation.
I am currently undertaking a Diploma in Women’s Health (RCPI).
I also treat a wide variety of musculoskeletal and sports related presentations including:
Lower Limb Rehabilitation
– ACL reconstruction, post op ankle stabilisation, meniscal (cartilage) repairs, hip and knee replacement, post Achilles rupture repair.
Shoulder and Upper Limb
– post operative shoulder replacement, rotator cuff repair +/- decompression.
Back and Neck Pain
– acute and chronic spinal pain including sciatica and post operative discectomy rehab. Also, cervicogenic and tension type headaches.
Post Operative Rehabilitation
– fracture and tendon repairs.
Osteoporosis and Bone Health
I accept cash, card payments or bank transfer.
Consultation Musculoskeletal / Treatment Fee (45 minutes): €60
Pelvic Health Assessment / Treatment Fee (60 minutes): €100
– cost of pessary if required is extra depending on the type.