We provide full regular shared antenatal care with your obstetric team of choice. This obstetric care is free to all until 6 weeks after your delivery. This regular antenatal care focuses on the health and development of your baby and your own personal health. Routine checks include:
- Monitoring Blood Pressure
- Assessing weight
- Palpation of your abdomen
- Listening to your baby’s heart
- Urine Tests
- Assessment for swelling of legs
- Personalised tailored care depending on your medical history and ongoing medical conditions.
Certain lifestyle changes are key to the development of a healthy mother and baby. These lifestyle changes include smoking cessation and not consuming excess alcohol. The consumption of folic acid in the first trimester will help to prevent against spinal defects for your baby. A healthy balanced diet and remaining physically active during pregnancy is encouraged.
Because of the dangers of toxoplasmosis and listeriosis, women should avoid:
- Uncooked meat, fish and eggs
- Milk that has not been pasteurised
- Soft cheeses
- All unwashed fruit and vegetables (they should be washed)